I wrote my first song on the back of a paper route collection book in 6th grade. The next morning on the school playground, I convinced my pal Joe Oestreich that we should start a cool band like Cheap Trick or the Kinks.Watershed was born at that moment under the monkey bars and went on to do damn near every single thing a rock n roll band can do. In fact, you can read all about it in the best selling memoir "Hitless Wonder- A Life in Minor League Rock n Roll" which was released in 2012 and National Public Radio called it one of the two best books of the summer. It rose to #1 on the Amazon music book charts. (!)
Also in 2012, Watershed released their 6th full length record, "Brick and Mortar" to rave reviews and did a 16 city promotional tour for both the new record and book.
In between Watershed activity, I have released three solo ep's in the past three years with the songs "Superior" and "Still Love Christmas" garnering regional airplay. I perform both solo and with my backing band The Lonely Bones. I also run a website, pencilstorm.com, featuring my writings and a number of other prominent blogger types.
When I am not working on music/writing I own a small coffee shop with the rather clever name of "Colin's Coffee" in Upper Arlington, OH. I am married and have a 9 year old son named Owen who also likes to rock. (along with dinosaurs, baseball and super-heroes) Our band sounds like an extremely out of tune AC/DC and our name rotates between "The Rancors" and "Tick, Tick Boom"
Rick Kinsinger - Guitar, keyboard, vocal
Dan Cochran - Bass
Herb Schupp - Drums
Superior Press Kit
Chemotherapy Press Kit
(Click on Image for full-size)
other press....big stuff is link above
- CD101 Day 2010 Review & Photos, Columbus Underground, Racheal Whitley with Photos by Ryan Reeves, April 19, 2010.
- Music: Going Solo a 'Do It Yourself' Venture, Columbus Dispatch, Kevin Joy, page D-1 and online; April 9, 2010;
- Laid Back Local Legends, Adam Scoppa, (614) Magazine, April 2010 issues, page 18 and online (April 2, 2010)
- Why Colin Gawel is Rewriting the Book of Rock, by Alexandra Kelly on Columbus Underground (February 2, 2010)
- Preview of January 28, 2010 show at Jackie O's by Greg Gallant on "ACRN.com - The Rock Lobster", the Ohio University radio station (January 27, 2010)
- The Other Paper preview of May 8 CD Release Party calls The Words We Say "exceptionally strong (May 21, 2009)
- Cleveland Plain Dealer preview of Bruce Springsteen Fanfest weekend (June 10, 2009)
- Colin Interviewed by "The Morning Buzz" on WBWC Radio (June 12, 2009) (Coming soon)